[NAGDU] Another use for the relieving belt

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Mar 14 17:47:22 UTC 2019

Hi Charlene.
Krokus didn't have any exposure to the relieving belt in training, and
neither did I.  I had one I used with my very old dog when she became unable
to keep from pooping in the house.
The Seeing Eye was singing the belt's praises on a conference call, so I
called them and got some advice on how to use it for both feces or urine,
then I just tried it.  I didn't do anything fancy, just put it on Krokus,
adjusted it, told him how good he was to stand quietly while I messed
around, put on the bag, told him he was good again, and took him to his
usual spot and gave him the command to do his business, which he did after a
bit of encouragement.  More praise, and we were good.  I think the bag
somehow encourages him to go.  He usually does his stuff pretty quick when
he's got it on.  Maybe, like Irish, he's eager to get it off.  If dog minds
work like that.
Guess I'm old-school.  I don't spend days introducing new things.  I just
use it with lots of praise, maybe a treat, and expect the dog to adjust.
And they do.
Tracy