[NAGDU] Questions about American Guide Dog Programs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun May 19 23:06:04 UTC 2019

the answer to that is that it depends on the school. Also several of the
American schools, GEB, GDF, Leader, pilot, Southeastern, GDA, and GDD,
(guide dog s of the Desert) have had clients in the past that have come
from all over...However, policy on this has changed rather markedly in
the last 10 to 15 years... Leader for example, when I first went there
would pretty much take anyone from another country and they had an
impressive list of countries from which people have come, however now,
due to whatever, IGDF membership, or their change in policy, they don't
seem to accept new studentss from any other land unless they come with a
group and not sure even of that...  GEB and  GDF and so on also used to
be that way but havve heard they dont unless there is some agreement
with training organizations or whatever .   I can go on and on but I
think it's better to contact the schools in question as frankly policy
seems to change all the time. I just tried to learn about it because,
having been interested in international travel myself and languages I
wanted to find out all I can about folks from other countries who had
come here for training...

However contradicting what I said earlier about Leader, I was told by a
grad from there in Europe that they would accept you if you could
guarantee with a letter from some certified trainer from a school
affiliated to the Guide Dog Federation that you could get follow up in
your own country. So as I said it's gotten a bit more complicated that
it was when I first started compiling info on it.

So contact any of the schools Danielle/ mentioned and  let us know
because I'm curious.

Leader does not provide ownership though, and I think he list of schools
Danielle? gave you who do provide ownership is up-to-date.

If there is anything I can do to assist you let me know, though, sadly I
have no special inside knowledge about anything--smile --smile

Oh and to clarify, I think a majority of US schools will accept Canadian
grads as well so US and Canada are a given.

don't know if I've just helped you or made things more obscure--smile

Dan W.