[NAGDU] Question about American Guide Dog Programs

Monse monse_v at aol.com.mx
Mon May 20 20:08:34 UTC 2019

Hello.
As far as I know, LDB, GDD and GDB do accept international students. Here in
my country there's one GDB grad, several from LDB and when I contacted GDD
just to find out, they said I would need to pay  transportation to and from
the school.
In my opinion, I would suggest you to get a dog from your own country if
possible because you could get follow up easily that way.
I've noticed here that most of the time people who got their dog from
another country, even from the closest one, don't really receive proper
follow up and they end up retiring their dogs due to the lack of
face-to-face supervision important to see the dog's behavior in context or
getting used to and learning to deal with their dog problems. I know of a
very limited number of cases where users went to the foreign school to
retrain, but I don't know if the user has to pay transportation or the
school helps with that as well. There have been a few users who asked for
help to local dog trainers.
JMO

---