[NAGDU] Update on Our OH service animal legislation

marianne at denningweb.com marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Oct 22 20:51:39 UTC 2019

The NFB of OH has been working with the OH House of Representatives to bring
the OH code into compliance with ADA. It currently uses the term,
"assistance animal" instead of "service animal." Presently, there is a
criminal piece if a business refuses to allow assistance animals into a
place of public accommodation. The 2 representatives want to put the changes
under the code regarding discrimination and remove the criminal piece. We
are opposed to this because we are covered by the ADA for civil grievances.
We believe we must be able to call the police if we are denied services so
we will probably not change the legislation at this time. We do not want to
drop the issue and are thinking about our options. Has anyone else had
similar problems in their state legislatures? We are looking for advice.