[NAGDU] Question Regarding Allegiant Airlines Requiring a Completed Veterinarian Form for Flying with a Guide Dog f

Mwelch8877@gmail.com mwelch8877 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 09:51:02 UTC 2020

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I definitely echo your same concerns. I too have witnessed many poorly behaved dogs in airports and have been told by airline personnel that because the person says that it is a service animal, there is nothing that they can do to intervene. if they are requiring people to have their veterinarians complete these forms prior to flying, I am really concerned that when a dog is poorly behaved in an airport, airline personnel will now just say that the person has a form signed by their veterinarian stating that the dog is a fully task trained service animal and therefore, there is nothing that the airline personnel can do to intervene.  like you, I have no idea how a veterinarian can determine a dog’s behavior in an airport while the veterinarian is observing the dog’s behavior at a vet clinic. Furthermore, as far as I am aware, veterinarians are not animal behavior experts and certainly do not have the expertise to determine whether or not a dog has been fully task trained to mitigate a persons disability. anyway, thank you for your response, I appreciate it. For expediency sake, I will probably just have my veterinarian complete the form. However, do you know where I would go to file a complaint with the department of transportation? I would like to file a complaint with the DOT as you suggested.

Thank you,

Milissa