[NAGDU] guide dog school application requirement question

mike at michaelhingson.com mike at michaelhingson.com
Fri Jan 3 21:12:18 UTC 2020

Hi,

First, don't make more of this than necessary. In general, the idea is that
you want to take a new guide home to an environment to which they can become
acclimatized. What any trainer would want is for you to help make the dog's
transition from one environment to another to be as easy and friendly as
possible. Dogs like to, as I describe it, "know the rules".

There is no hard fast situation. Each of us who gets a guide dog has
different circumstances from everyone else. I, for example, received my most
recent guide dog in late February, 2018. Within a week I was off on
airplanes to deliver speeches as well as consulting and thus left my "stable
home". Travel is a way of life for me and I know how to ease a new guide dog
into that environment.

Having said all the above, if you know that once you get a guide you soon
will be moving or going into a school environment you should make sure your
guide dog trainers are aware of this so you and they can best discuss how to
help the new guide adjust. If a guide dog school won't even consider
providing you with a new guide dog simply because you may soon be moving
then that school is not worth its salt. Ultimately you are the one who has
to help your new guide adjust to whatever environment it will be
encountering. It will be your attitude, your confidence and your skills that
will make or break the relationship.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson