[NAGDU] Guide Dogs of America and Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs Announce Merger

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 8 15:29:55 UTC 2020

Hi, all.

I saw this on the GDUI guide dog list and thought I'd pass this on.  I'm
a GDA grad, and this is the first I've heard of such a merger.  Thoughts
from other GDA grads welcome.

Lisa

prnewswire.com
Guide Dogs of America and Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs Announce
Merger
Guide Dogs of America
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/guide-dogs-of-america-and-tender-loving-canines-assistance-dogs-announce-merger-300982399.html

SYLMAR, Calif., Jan. 7, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Guide Dogs of America and
Tender Loving Canines Assistance Dogs (TLCAD) today announced the merger
of their organizations. This merger combines their respective service
dog programs into a single organization operating under the Guide Dogs
of America umbrella. The merger is effective immediately.
A visually impaired guide dog user, hugging his black lab guide dog.
Founded in 1948, Guide Dogs of America empowers people who are blind and
visually impaired to live with greater independence, confidence and
mobility by providing expertly matched guide dog partners. TLCAD gives
the gift of independence to veterans and individuals with autism by
providing highly skilled service dogs. TLCAD also pairs facility dogs
with professionals who serve populations that benefit from animal
assisted intervention or therapy. Their prison-based dog training
program also helps rehabilitate incarcerated individuals.
"TLCAD shares our goal to transform the lives of people through
partnerships with highly trained assistance dogs," said Russell Gittlen,
President of Guide Dogs of America. "This merger will allow us to put
more dogs into the hands of people who need them -- which is our
ultimate mission."
"TLCAD is very excited to join the Guide Dogs of America family and we
look forward to the new opportunities our combined efforts bring to
those in need of service dogs," said Victoria Cavaliere, Executive
Director of TLCAD.
Although TLCAD will maintain its name and local offices in San Diego,
California, the newly merged organization will be headquartered in
Sylmar, California, on Guide Dogs of America's 7.5-acre campus.
All programs and services are provided at no cost and are available to
individuals throughout the United States and Canada.
SOURCE Guide Dogs of America
Related Links
http://www.guidedogsofamerica.org/

--