[NAGDU] Big Baby

James Boehm jboehm at nfbtn.org
Wed Mar 4 04:16:37 UTC 2020

Greetings from TAGDU and the Tennessee Affiliate!
Our dogs are our partners. They are our friends. They are our family. My guide Bogey serves as my co-therapist when I work with clients. Bogey is my second. 3 Years ago, I was with my first guide Shep. Shep  went through a Bachelor’s program with me and he proudly wore his cap and gown as we graduated and crossed the stage. He was the “best dog” at my wedding. Words cannot explain the morning when I woke up on a Tuesday morning on March8th 2016. Shep was only 6 years old. He still had a long life ahead of him. He and I were knocking our first semester at our master’s program at Vandy. But that morning I knew something was not right. He laid on his sidebar the steps going into the kitchen. He did not want to move. It was time for me to act! I called an Uber to get to our clinic, which was 3 minutes away from our home. I leash Shep and he manages the strength to come outside. Shep and I cross the street to meet the driver. As we approach the driver rolls down his rear window and  Yells”I don’t take dogs.” Of course, I said he is a guide dog and I need to get to the clinic. But he had already taken off. Shep plopped on the sidewalk and continued to pant. I was furious and worried about my Sheppy. I contacted a Lyft driver, who arrived ten minutes later. We arrived at the clinic. Our amazing vet took Shep into a room.; but then she brought him back out in just a few minutes. She sounded sad. She told me that Shep most likely has a ruptured spleen and has been bleeding internally. She said I don’t know if he will make it through the surgery, so I want you to give him some loving before we start. Crocodile tears fell as I hugged him tenderly and told him it was going to be okay. I left the clinic to compose myself . My fear and sadness turned to anger after I recalled what the first Uber driver did to  me. I called the police, reported him, and ensured my friend, who is a district attorney  had a hold of the police report so that the driver could be prosecuted.Shep survived the surgery. They told us we would have up to 3 months with him. When he apparently began to bleed internally, the cancer that caused the spleen to rupture spread throughout the rest of his inner cavity. So, while that Uber driver left  Shep and I stranded, that cancer was just spreading around, docking minutes of any further precious life that we would have with Shep. The seeing Eye was very aware of the type of vicious cancer Shep had. They were able to fit me in to the June class.I was afraid that something would happen to Shep while I was in Morristown. He sstayed strong and took care of my wife until Bogey and I returned home. For one month, I had both of my buddy boys.While it was so incredible wrapping my arms and hugging my two incredible boys, I knew it would only be temporary. Four weeks after Bogey and I returne, on July12th, I came down the stairs to find Shep on his side at the bottom of the stairs; it was the same place that I found him in March. I knew it was time. Shep could not stand straight up without losing his balance.  Wendy and I gently led him into the car. As Bogey jumped in, he nudged Shep and gave him a big kiss in the face. The rest of that afternoon was one of the most difficult things that I went through. I cried and grieved for some time. But that is the body’s physical response to dealing with the grief and emotional distress. I imagine it was about 4 months before I could talk about Shep and not tear up. In our living room, we have an area dedicated to Shep. Hanging next to some paw print art we made him does his harness. Above that is a 11 by 16 3D tactile art image of Shep at one of our favorite places to hag out at Vanderbilt. You can feel his huge fluffy ears and his wide smile.He was beautiful. He will always be beautiful. He will always be a part of my life.
In conclusion, you will know when it is time. Enjoy every moment with your guide. Cherish the moments that you have together. If you need anyone who is a good listener to let you share your memories and process your grief, I will make myself available. I wish you and everyone many days of success with your team!
 Warmly,

James Alan Boehm  M.Ed, LPC-MHSP (Temp)

Contact Information
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
Learning Ally: JBoehm at LearningAlly.org
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com
You Cane Give Initiative: YuCaneGive at gmail.com

Be part of the movement! How? Spread the word! Share our FB page, website and Go Fund Me Campaign. Send us donations, which can include your old canes or tax deductible monetary contributions: Here are our links:
Go Fund Me Link:
https://www.gofundme.com/you-cane-give-tackling-the-white-cane-famine
Paypal linK:
https://www.paypal.me/youcanegiveProgram
Amazon Smile link:
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/83-4173891
Facebook page;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/You-Cane-Give-Initiative-1558518134229769/
Our website:
www.YouCaneGive.org
Youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-VOyJg-h0m8U34muYGadg

Blindness is a mere characteristic not defining my abilities; the only disabilities in life are poor expectations and negative attitudes.