[NAGDU] Teaching how to use a dog door

Sharon S koala at areujoking.com
Mon Apr 19 16:50:42 UTC 2021

Hi all, here at my house I have two dog doors for our dogs to come and go as
they like. My retired dog uses them most of the time but at times he is lazy
so barks to be let in or out. Now with my new dog he just isn't getting the
idea. He has gone out the one in my sunroom once or twice but has never come
back in. When the trainer was here we did do some work with the one leading
from the main part of the house which is the one our other dogs normally
use. The training did seem to go well and we figured watching the other dogs
using the door he would soon get the idea. However this isn't the case I
have had him for a couple of months now and he still hasn't learnt how to
use the dog door. We tried for a couple of days during the day leaving the
flap off so it was just an open hole but even then he wouldn't use it. I am
thinking about doing some more training on it with my mum's help but not
sure if even after that he will get the idea. What we did with the trainer
was one of us would stand on one side of the door and call him through and
have a treat for him. This worked for a few times we did it but the idea
didn't stick. So, I am thinking of trying this again with mum's help but I
was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

The reason we tried leaving off the flap was from a suggestion of my
sister-in-law who is a dog trainer. She suggested we start with no flap,
then put a light clear plastic sleave on it weighted down with a pen or
something small like that. Then when the dog got used to coming through that
put something heavier on until you can then put the flap back on. But as I
said he wouldn't even go through with no flap so it wasn't worth trying the
rest. I have tried getting him in while holding up the flap but no luck.

The main dog door is in the frame of our sliding door and there is a big
step on one side. So to get in the dogs have to jump up into it and on the
way out they have a drop down. So we're not sure if this is putting him off
however my older dog does it just fine. My new boy has no issues coming
through the sliding door if we open that which makes him come up the same
step.

Even when my boy is playing with the family dog chasing each other either
around the house or outside if the family dog runs through the dog door my
boy doesn't follow.

Thanks for any advice.

>From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.