[NAGDU] Update on my new dog.

Sharon S koala at areujoking.com
Sun Feb 7 11:20:23 UTC 2021

Hi all, well it is coming to the end of my first week with my new Seeing Eye
dog. His name is Sherlock, he is 18 months old and is a caracole coloured.
He is a lab retriever cross and weights about 32kg.

We have been on a few walks together, one inside shops. We have been out to
dinner and this afternoon I took him to scouts. I wasn't totally sure how he
would go at Scouts because they can be noisy at times and I didn't have a
trainer with me. What I ended up doing (which the trainer agreed with) was I
left him in the car with my mum until after the kids had all arrived, we had
done our opening ceremony and they had run off some energy. Then I got them
all sitting down quietly and bought Sherlock in. Then we sat there while I
explained all about him and the kids got to ask their questions. After that
I took Sherlock off to the side of the hall and the kids went on a played
their games and totally ignored Sherlock. I had a few that asked to pat him,
but I explained that wasn't possible. After I have had him for a few weeks,
and he settles in I then may let the kids in small groups pat him once I
take the harness off but while he is settling in it is best to have the kids
totally leave him alone. My niece was happy that she was coming home with us
because once we were in the car, she could pat Sherlock. I was very
surprised that my niece managed to keep the secret of Sherlock from the
other scouts. I had asked her not to say anything to any of the kids about
him, but I was half expecting her to ask me where he was or say something
when I first mentioned I had a surprise for the kids. She was really good
and didn't say a word before Sherlock came into the hall.

Well, the trainer is back tomorrow, and we are going to go to the busier
shops and try out escalators and lifts. My trainer is only here during the
week and they go home over the weekend.

My parents are off on their holidays tomorrow so it will be just me,
Sherlock and Rolo (my retired dog) here at home.

Bye for now.

>From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.