[Nfb-kzoo] Headed back to South Africa

Jacalyn Paulding jacalynpaulding at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:11:00 UTC 2009

Dear Fellow Federationists.

As most of you know, in August of 2003 I went to South Africa for 2 and a
half years and started a non profit organization called Higher Ground, which
provides Week long Camps to children, teens and Adults who are Blind.
My Co-Founder, who is from South  Africa, has continued to work diligently
and the organization has continued to grow.  I am proud to say that of today
Higher Ground has had 50 Camps.   This has been a true test of faith but God
is an amazing provider.

On April 26, 2009 I will be returning to Higher Ground in South Africa for 4
weeks to help work on a grant proprosal, it is our real dream to open up a
rehabilitation center OF the Blind with similar philosophies to the
Louisiana Center for the Blind.   This center will include an infant program
a parent education program, summer camping program and adult education
center.   Our dreams are big but we are motivated and i KNOW it can happen.

Very basic items for the Blind are a rare luxury in South Africa, I am
writing to see if anybody might have an old device, or tool that they no
longer use that you would be willing to donate to people who are Blind in
South Africa.  Items that we are looking for include

Braille games
Slate and Styullus
Any toys that teach Braille
Perkins Brailler( I know this one is a stretch but I have to ask:)
Recorders

I know there is a lot I am not thinking of,  We are basically looking for
anything that has been useful to you as a person who is blind.

I apologize if anyone finds this request offensive,  I realize the lists are
not meant for solicitation and under normal circumstances I could never
ask, this is my passion and I cannot ignore it.

Thank you so much for your time, if you have any questions or would like any
clarification please feel free to contact me.
Jacalyn Paulding
616-835-8986
jacalynpaulding at gmail.com

You can also visit our website to find out more about the organiztion
www.higherground.org.za