[Nfb-kzoo] Update on the Chapter

Tyler merren twmerren at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 21:02:08 UTC 2009

NFB Members,
Christine, that's a bummer, hopefully your on the mend and will be feeling well soon.  I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law, tell Doug I give him my condolences.  Tim, I'm sorry to hear about your life being so crazy, hopefully things will settle down for you guys.  Regardless of whether or not you guys are officers or otherwise, I would like to have you at the meetings.  Leanne and I were discussing whether or not another day of the week would be workable.  We thought that Thursday nights at the same time would be a better situation for most of our members?  I think for several it makes little difference, maybe that is an assumption, but let me know if that is incorrect.  For myself personally, Fridays are not as demanding academically, so to have a meeting Thursday night as opposed to Monday night would be much appreciated.  Not doing it on Fridays would also allow people to go out of town for the weekend if they so desired and not miss out on the meetings for that reason.  If everyone could let me know their thoughts on this, but I think that unless I get some negative feedback on this, we are going to go ahead and schedule the meetings for every second Thursday of the month, starting with Thursday October 8, at 6:30.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is notice of absence.  I'm not picking on anyone here, please note that, because I've been guilty of the same, but I want to stress at this point how important it is to have an early notice if one is not going to make the meeting.  One thing is that for Leanne and I, we have to schedule a babysitter, so in a sense, we have a financial investment into each meeting.  Another reason is that we have a potential member who will be attending meetings from Hopkins, which is about a 40 minute drive north of Kalamazoo, and it would be a shame for that person to come to our meeting and find themselves the only ones there.  Finally, all of us have been in a situation, perhaps with this chapter even, where attendants have not been present and your time is "wasted".  This is no fun and frustrating for those who attend.  This past meeting was worth the time for Leanne and I because we had a lot of fun with those who attended and ate some good pizza, however, we spent way more on pizza than was necessary for our family and those who attended, and though the pizza was consumed overtime, it would've been great to have had a better idea of the numbers attending..

Our future meetings, I am hoping, will have a few extra qualities, such as being more fun/exciting, having more people, and overall being a little more relaxed yet responsible.  We all owe some of our current lifestyle to some of the doings of the NFB, so it seems fair to me that we put in the time to pay it forward.

Your thoughts please, and take care,
Tyler Merren
President of the NFB of Kalamazoo