[Nfb-kzoo] Proposed New Train Service to Chicago

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Thu Apr 29 04:50:17 UTC 2010

This idea makes a lot of sense, and I would certainly recommend we get behind it. It would make it feasible to attend day meetings in Chicago and also catch earlier flights from the airports. No idea if there's even a remote chance of it really happening, though. Read on.

MDOT Requests Additional Amtrak Service Through SWM
Andrew Green Reporting
The Michigan Department of Transportation said on Wednesday that it will make a formal
request to Amtrak to add an additional train service in Southwest Michigan between
Chicago and Kalamazoo. Last week, several state lawmakers -- including State Representative
Sharon Tyler, Tonya Schuitmaker, and John Proos -- sent a letter to MDOT, asking
that the agency pursue such an addition. Representative Proos says that more rail
service to the region would have several benefits:
Listen:
They're asking for an additional train leaving Chicago Union Station every evening
at ten PM, and a return trip leaving Kalamazoo at six AM every morning. The proposed
train will make stops in Hammond, New Buffalo, Niles, Dowagiac and Kalamazoo. Proos
said the request will now be made by MDOT, and Amtrak will formally make the decision.

http://www.wsjm.com/MDOT-Requests-Additional-Amtrak-Service-Through-SW/6919921

J.J. Meddaugh - ATGuys.com
A premier Licensed Code Factory and KNFB Reader distributor