[NFB-Kzoo] Minutes from our chapter meeting, january 15th

Amyrillis Payne amyrillis1001 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 01:47:34 UTC 2020

Hello all of my National federation of the blind members!
Here are the updates from todays meeting from the Kalamazoo chapter, feb 19th, 2020

Begins: 7:03

Attendees -
Robert Parsons
Amyrillis Payne
Victor Marques
Rashid Deme

Treasurer's report
-Bank account still to be established
-still holding dues as
$37.5 given to the edison neighborhood

Received final check from talent show
$319 ($80 to plan)

Jerususelum earned $55 from fundraising in DC

10% back from fundraising to the edison neighborhood association

Social media
-Talia is facebook editor and only remaining members are Robert and  Jason and talia approved for  editing purposes, talia for when meetings occur

Fundraising- 7:10 pm
-restaurant contact needed
Potentially, Blaze pizza,  Texas roadhouse, Nonla burger

Notes/scholarship info/seminar info and updates

-Midwest Student Seminar, March 20/March 22.

-15 applied 10 students  approved for trip funded

-Everyone leaving on one train going and returning to chicago

-Rooms listed under person staying in room

-5 rooms

-Arrive friday-
-Go to eat at 7

-Student division call for chicago. Date tome: Feb 20th, @9 pm

-Washington Seminar recap- 7:50 pm

-9 michigan affiliate members attended

-Broke into 2 teams (5 each)
Pet stabinaw and peters as well as all state all 7 Reps

-500 Attended from NFB nationally-representation for every state

-Covered 3 topics/proposals for michigan

-1st bill proposal-

-Access technology affordability act-push for refundable tax credit for assistance technology purchases

-2nd bill proposal-
-Aim high-bill pushing for state based commission made to create guidelines of accessibility for students

-Gains tap act-push for standard accessibility of home appliances, medical equipment and physical equipment

-Outcome-

-100% support from house and senate on these proposals

-National scholarship ends March 31st

-Whats needed-
Letter of recommendation
Proof of blindness
Transcript
Essay

-Jernigans Letter
Write to Mike Powell

-State scholarship
3 instead of two
need to promote more for more applications

Adjourn: 8:38