[NFB-Kzoo] Fwd: September minutes

Robert Earl Parsons robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu
Wed Oct 14 23:48:10 UTC 2020

All

Please find the minutes from last night's chapter meeting below.

Best

Robert Parsons Jr.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Amyrillis Payne <amyrillis1001 at gmail.com>
Date: October 14, 2020 at 6:25:13 PM EDT
To: NFB of Kalamazoo Michigan List <nfb-kzoo at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Robert Earl Parsons <robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu>
Subject: September minutes

Kalamazoo chapter meeting September 15th

Attendees

Robert Parsons-president, vice president-Rashid Deme,

Secretary-Monet Payne,

Treasurer-victor marquess,

Member-Ellis S (paid dues),

Denice Kennedy visiting from wayne county chapter.

Meeting begins 8 pm<x-apple-data-detectors://2>

Topic 1-minutes sent to list serve

Robert discusses how Monet sent minutes to chapter from last meeting. Also please sign up if you are not currently on list serve so we can stay on our goals.

Robert finds no errors in minutes

Victor makes motion minutes are approved. Ellis seconds minutes as submitted are approved.

Topic 2-treausure report

$420 set up at lake michigan credit union, debit card is in place, balance before was $415 and ellis paid $5 dues so we are ag $420

End of report

Monet motions, rashid seconds motion to approve report as read passes

Topic 3-topic about Assistive technology coordinator at wmu position being empty and this has caused blind students much of a hassle for wmu low vision students. Robert requested testimonials from students to write and he received 4. The staff member who said she would help him wants students to 1. Make testimonials concise and make the messages shorter. So as individuals we should make our messages similar and concise. The goal is to get the technology assistance job position that Taylor held reinstated. So this means that all testimonials should be written about getting this position reinstated.

Robert explains that he wants more discussion about the federation philosophy.

Some students are making chapter requests and saying the federation will get involved over things other than accessibility requests and this is not what we should be doing. We should be sure we are making this request on the grounds of the federation philosophy and not confusing

No threats, no saying “i will use the federation power against you”

We need to build and work out ways of how we can get things done and not make it seem like an attack and be sure our issues are accessibility issues and not person errors.

Be aware of this while writing testimonials.

For example needing to use jaws for an assignment is a reasonable accommodation so this is acceptable vs requesting to get a scribe to do your notes for you and to do your work for you. So asking for personal demands that are not building on the relationship with the university and the blind students attending the university is unreasonable.

The plan is to use the testimonials to get  our foot in the door of the president and after we can request further accommodations/discuss issues students have had in the past with accessibility on campus other than the accessibility tech position.

By this time next week tesfimonials should be updated so robert can get info bavk to lisa

Topic 4-meet the blind month

The committee that was going to plan the restaurant fundraiser has been unable to meet for planning.

Robert suggests doing a meeting in October or for national white cane safety day. Something to show the local community we are here.  the group will meet instead of fundraising.

Victor suggests an outdoor fundraising event in the community

Robert suggests getting a donation plate for this idea and potentially discussing blind history and literature with city locals.

Ellis suggest sale of candy which has been discussed in the past.

Robert asks for meet the blind month activity/fundraiser plans

Ellis says candy

Victor says the idea of having a day of demonstration is a good idea with cane demo’s and books to educate locals with a donation box available for any potential donations

Group agrees on this idea as being a good suggestion

We now need location, plan on how to spread the word, and who is going to all be involved when this happens

Robert suggests a weekend date as a potential plan

Victor votes for a Saturday

Group agrees for Saturday

Robert says he will not be able to promise any weekend in October accept for the last weekend in October.

Plan is to make sure everything is socially distanced and masks will be worn for any demonstrations

Victor suggest the last weekend or the second to last weekend in October

October 24th<x-apple-data-detectors://9> or October 31st<x-apple-data-detectors://10>

Group votes on October 24th, Saturday<x-apple-data-detectors://11> meeting

Location and details will be discussed at a later time.

Victor asks if literature is already available and robert says he can work on getting electronic literature potentially.

Robert wants anyone interested in taking on the position of planning this event  to come forward. Currently Rashid and Victor are going to be planning on putting this together and Robert is getting together literature

Topic 5-scholarship program deadline September 30th.

We are hoping more applicants will apply!

Meeting comes to a close.

8:36 pm<x-apple-data-detectors://13>

Monet calls for a closing meeting

Victor seconds

Meeting is adjourned at 8:37 p.m<x-apple-data-detectors://14>