[NFB-NM] FW: Attorney General Balderas, State Treasurer Eichenberg, and State Auditor Colón recognize Americans with Disabilities Act Day

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:24:57 UTC 2020

Best wishes,

From: Trapp, Greg, CFB <Greg.Trapp at state.nm.us>
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 2:58 PM
To: 'nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com' <nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com>;
'nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com' <nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com>
Subject: FW: Attorney General Balderas, State Treasurer Eichenberg, and
State Auditor Colón recognize Americans with Disabilities Act Day

Pasted below is a release from the Attorney General, State Treasurer, and
State Auditor regarding the 30th anniversary of the ADA and the declaration
of Americans with Disabilities Act day.

AG__State_Treasurer__and_State_Auditor_recognize_Americans_with_Disabilities
_Act_Day_1.pdf
For Immediate Release:
July 24, 2020
Contact: Matt Baca -- (505) 270-7148
Attorney General Balderas, State Treasurer Eichenberg, and State Auditor
Colón recognize Americans with Disabilities Act Day
Santa Fe, NM---Today, Attorney General Hector Balderas joined State
Treasurer Tim Eichenberg and State Auditor Brian Colón in recognizing the
Americans
with Disabilities Act Day. On July 17, 2020, Governor Michelle Luján Grisham
declared July 26, 2020 as Americans with Disabilities Act Day in honor of
the 30th Anniversary of the American with Disabilities Act.
“It is important for us to recognize the anniversary enacting this historic
piece of legislation, which provides access and opportunities for
individuals
with disabilities, but we must continue the fight,” said Attorney General
Balderas. “We will continue to stand with New Mexican families and fight for
equity and justice.”
“We are proud to offer ABLE New Mexico through the State Treasurer’s
Office,” said Eichenberg. “Nearly 500 New Mexicans have opened accounts
through ABLE
to save money for their needs, without jeopardizing the assistance they
receive from other programs. We can serve so many more people in New Mexico,
though.
We hope that this celebration of the Americans with Disabilities Act Day
will shine a light on ABLE New Mexico so that folks will reach out to us for
more
information.”
“Having grown up with a father who had Muscular Dystrophy and passed away at
the age of 49, the importance of the Americans with Disabilities Act is
personal
to me. I am proud to recognize this day, for all who live with a disability
and thrive because of the support the ADA guarantees, in honor of my
father,”
said Auditor Colón. “The ADA guarantees rights for our most vulnerable
populations – individuals who are our family, friends, neighbors, and
colleagues.
It gives assurances they will not face discrimination on the basis of a
disability. Today we mark the 30th anniversary of the passing of this
important
legislation and celebrate how it is possible to agree, regardless of
politics, that nobody should be treated differently or unfairly because they
live
with a disability.”
This past October the Attorney General, State Auditor and State Treasurer
hosted a summit on disabilities: The Dream Bigger Summit - Creating a More
Inclusive
New Mexico. The summit scheduled for October 2020 will be postponed due to
COVID-19.
###