[Nfb-science] Access: A Question

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Nov 10 12:04:28 UTC 2008

I will reply to the list as some of the info may be useful for others.

First of all python. Python can be run in windows as well as Linux so if
the Linux stuff gets hard don't let that stop you learning python. I
found the python tutorial good to get started and some of the other
python docs. There is also plenty of stuff on the internet, just do a
google search. I don't know the specific library you mentioned, but
hopefully its docs should make sense once you understand the basics of
python.

If ubuntu is the distribution you will use, as different distributions
provide different tools and configure things differently, it is always
good to see if there is a specific distribution document for whatever
you want to learn. Whilst I don't use ubuntu, when I search for a howto
generally I find quite alot of ubuntu howtos come up.

Some more general information on some specific applications:
Orca, best starting point is the orca wiki (http://live.gnome.org/Orca).
You also will find there a link to the orca mailing list where orca
specific questions might be best directed.
The gnome desktop: The gnome desktop is the GUI you will be using with
orca, whilst there is a number of things which feel the same as windows
to use, there are certainly differences. I would advise looking at the
gnome documentation (www.gnome.org and follow the support link).

Hope this gets you started.

Michael Whapples