[Nfb-science] [nfb-scinece] professional networking

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Thu Feb 19 03:50:52 UTC 2009

Paul,

I am a professional civil engineer, specializing in water resources
planning.  I currently work for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in our New
York City office, doing planning work on flood control and coastal storm
damage reduction projects.  Before coming to work for the Corps two years
ago I did water supply planning work for state government in California.  I
am 31, have also been blind all my life, and use a white cane and Braille.
I graduated with my bachelor's in 2001 and while working for state
government earned my professional engineer's license in 2004.  I was
fortunate in college to get two years of internship experience with the
state government department for whom I worked after I graduated.

I admire your persistance.  Don't give up!  David, Denna, and John have each
given you some great ideas.  I too would encourage you to look at jobs with
the federal government: in addition to NASA (cool!) you may wish to consider
especially the Department of Defense, such as the Navy.  In fact, while
relocating to be nearer my girlfriend-now-wife I applied for a job at the
Navy submarine base in Groton, Connecticut.  I wish I could be more helpful
regarding the Corps, but we do little work building things that fly.
However, if you'd like to talk more about the way I found federal government
jobs and applied for them, including using my blindness as a way of getting
my foot in the door for interviews and cutting some of the hiring red tape,
feel free to reply or write me off-list.  Certainly explore as many options
as you can.

While you are searching for a job full time, consider working with VR to
prepare you for likely relocating.  If the thought makes you nervous (it
still did me as a relatively settled, homeowning professional when moving to
join the Corps), take advantage of any additional cane travel training you
can get, etc.

Keep networking here and don't give up!

Nathanael Wales