[Nfb-science] Recommendations

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 31 10:38:02 UTC 2009

Hi All,
  First, I apologize if this is taken as slightly off-topic, but I felt it was an appropriate question for this list.

  I am totally blind and am currently a guide dog user. I am also a grad student in a field of science.

  I was wondering what travel aids people in this field with low or no vision have found both are most helpful (e.g., independently navigating at conferences/on large campuses...) and help them appear most competent... to their peers, fellow students/faculty, at conferences...

  I am getting close to retirement of my dog and am wondering what individuals on this list have found to be  tools that have been most respected by sighted professionals in your fields. As I hope to attend and present at conferences regularly, and will be starting to consider applying for faculty positions or postdocs in a couple of years, I want to ensure my peers are highly receptive to my appearance both academically  and professionally.
With much thanks,
Christine
Christine M. Szostak
Graduate Student
Language Perception Laboratory
Department of Psychology, Cognitive Area
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
szostak.1 at osu.edu