[Nfb-science] cheryl r. brown(NFB) career in STEM?

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 20:51:53 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I am currently an undergraduate in Cognitive Psychology, working towards an
eventual Ph.D. and research career. I don't have a true focus yet, but at
present I am working as a research assistant in the Florida Center for
Reading Research, using eye tracking technology to study how visual
information, such as printed text, photographs, signs, and even a person's
surroundings, are accessed by the eyes and processed by the brain. I use
JAWS for Windows as well as ZoomText, and my directing professor has never
had a problem with providing materials in electronic formats for me, as he
prefers electronic to paper himself. We do a lot of research at elementary
schools, and other students and professors in the lab are always happy to
car-pool since there are a number of people in the lab who do not have cars,
so this helps with transportation.

Really, I've just been playing things by ear since day one, figuring out how
to approach problems as they come up, or may come up. My most recent
challenge was taking a Biological Science lab course and managing to take
readings and conduct experiments without spending thousands on software and
equipment that would interface with my computer. i got the disability center
at my university to provide me with a lab assistant of my own to help with
taking measurements and reading off data. We'll see how this works out.

Don't let yourself be limited in what career you choose by the amount of
vision you have. That isn't how it works. Choose what you want to do, what
you're interested in, what you're passionate about first. Then, as you find
legitimate obstacles relating to vision (and you might not), start dealing
with them one at a time with your initial goal still in mind.

-Jamie