[Nfb-science] seeking advice about career change while dealing with retinal degeneration

vincent ciavatta vciavatta at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 17:46:33 UTC 2010

Hello list.  I am Vincent.  I have RP.  For the past 8 yrs I have been trying to work as a scientist doing retinal research.  I need to support my salary by competing for research grants.  Fortunately, I have a grant right now.  However I am finding this job to be very difficult in many ways.  I fear the consequences of not putting myself in a career that is manageable with limited or no vision as my prognosis is poor.

Is there anyone on the list who has gone or is going through a similar scenario?  I was hoping to learn from the perspective of others dealing with vision loss from RP who have made a career transition, been content with their change, and maintained a family.  If you are a former scientist and made this change - even better!

Thanks for any help.