[Nfb-science] Formatting: An Inquiry of Resources

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 22 20:31:41 UTC 2010

Hello,
Firstly is it worth learning LaTeX? Possibly, the greatest gain I feel
is when dealing with mathematical notation but many sighted people still
like it for other documents (I think they do tend to be in a more
technical field). Eventually it comes down to personal preference, just
keep in mind that the initial learning time tends to be longer than for
systems like Word.

Now to how you could convert it to word document format. One option
would be use mathtype, not really LaTeX, you use word for most of the
document and write equations in mathtype (LaTeX input mode being one
option in mathtype). Another alternative may be to use a LaTeX to word
converter. I don't know any off hand but I am sure google will help here
(I don't know much about these and I don't know how well they work).

LaTeX normally produces PDF, are you sure these wouldn't be acceptable?
Do you know of any tools which may be could convert PDF to word format?

Michael Whapples