[Nfb-science] Formatting: An Inquiry of Resources

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Sat Mar 27 16:40:16 UTC 2010

Hello,
I dislike working in MS word for technical writing as a blind individual.
Latex or Chatty Infty provides a good authoring tool for technical ideas.  These can be the final end point in the academic setting.
In the professional non-academic setting, though, all input technical documents arrive to me in MS word or PDF and all output is expected in MS word.
Often MS word documents are presented with track changes on which, for me, just makes the problem worse.
I occasionally maintain 2 copies of documents, one in latex and one in MS word.
My best success with MS word is generating PDF and reading the PDF with Infty reader. When that fails, I laser print, scan, and read with Infty reader.
Working in the same media as co-workers is a huge plus.  Personally, I just have not mastered it yet.
Best wishes with your technical and mathematical writing!
John