[Nfb-science] Organic Chemistry

Andrew Wai acawai at verizon.net
Thu Dec 8 19:37:20 UTC 2011

I never found the ball-and-stick models to be particularly useful. They
are very slow to construct and, because of the flexible bonds, make
understanding conformational changes difficult. I used a model set from
a Japanese company--something like this
http://www.hgs-model.com/model/index.html. I would get comfortable with
being able to visualize and manipulate molecular structures mentally.
Mass and IR spectra should not be too much of a problem because you
usually just need to know a few obvious features, which can be quickly
described by a reader. NMR is more difficult. I used readers for these
too (so you are dependent on your reader being basically competent), but
you might consider producing tactile graphics.

Good luck,

Andrew