[Nfb-science] methods for succeeding in organic chemistry

Cary Supalo cas380 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:22:07 UTC 2012

Aleeha,
I describe what I call a 2-dimensional organic chemistry drawing kit
in the Fall/Winter issue of Future Reflections.
There you use a piece of poser board covered with felt. You then make
a big felt board using circles as carbons, and rectangles as bonds.
You can then print and Braille label some circles to indicate N, S,
O, etc. I also created a pentagon shape to be used as a wild card
item that does not come up much.
I also used pie wedged shape pieces to indicate stereo chemistry. I
had the felt gro on the back if it was above the page, and on both
sides if it was below the plain of the page.
Also, Flynn Scientific has many molecule kits that are tactile that
can help you out.
Further, I am not aware of a program like Chem Draw that is accessible.
How I used that interface was with a sighted person.
It is not truly independence, but since I decided what was drawn,
intellectually it was.
Hope this helps.
Cary Supalo