[Nfb-science] STEM Accessibility Research

Stephanie H. DeLuca sjhhirst at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:05:21 UTC 2012

Hi Hayden,

This sounds really interesting.  I was wondering if you know anything about
using haptics, such as those used by engineers when they are doing 3D
modeling?

Touch-enabled 3D Model Design
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLa40-YEDw
ArtNova: Touch-Enabled 3D Model Design
http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/ARTNOVA/artnova.pdf

Interactive Haptic Rendering of High-Resolution Deformable Objects
http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/HAPDEFO/downloads/gotgl-hcii07.pdf

I think there is a lot of potential for using these technologies for
teaching things in 3D to people who are blind/VI.  In my opinion, hap tics
and 3D printing is really going to change the availability of STEM learning
to the blind/VI.  I'm really excited about this!  Let me know how your
project goes.  Are you going to write anything up for it?  For example, a
paper or poster?

In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind.
    ~Louis Pasteur, lecture 1854