[Nfb-science] software inquiry

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jun 26 15:15:58 UTC 2012

Hello,
Regarding minitab, in a course I was studying towards the end of 2011
minitab was used. I asked on the blindmath list and the general
conclusion was that I should find alternatives to minitab. This possibly
was different circumstances which lead to the conclusion, the course
only used it in one specific part of the course (or at least it was only
one part of the course where it really stood above other products like
excel, the topic where they felt it was most useful is for SPC). Even
for SPC I did find an alternative, there is a package for R which will
produce the control graphs.

For a job there probably is not such flexibility to use something else.
I think the general comments I got said:
* Earlier versions of minitab were possible to use with a screen reader
(my university did not have access to an earlier version)
* The command syntax is not the simplest to use, I think users rely more
on the GUI to help them get what they need from the data.
* If you were familiar with minitab from an earlier version you may
still be able to manage to get on with a current version because you
might know the menu layout, but it isn't good for someone new to it.

You may want to ask the question on the blindmath list to get further
detail on what I have said, as that was where I asked about using it.

Michael Whapples