[Nfb-science] scoring braille input devices

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:12:12 UTC 2012

Hello,
I was talking with Hai describing the wide variety of ease of data entry using a keyboard that is built in to a refreshable Braille display.
It would be very useful to create a webpage that allowed users to specify the Braille input method i.e. Braille note, Brailliant Braille display from Humanware, focus 40 blue from Freedom Scientific.
The webpage would prompt the user to type in ASCII text a single sentence 10 times, data processing would then score the typing speed and accuracy of the user.
I find that I can type ASCII text quickly and accurately using the Braille note PK.
I find that my typing accuracy is much lower using the Focus 40 Blue.
For me, the ASCII typing accuracy is pretty good with the Brailliant display.
My concern is that the braille display manufacturers have not asked us in the past to be a part of their focus group when making a new Braille display.
Perhaps size and cost are the key factors for them rather than including ergonomics, typing speed, and typing accuracy.
I would like to make the results of this data collection viewable to those who log in to the webpage.
If the data shows that some Braille displays have better accuracies than others in general, then this result would be quite helpful to share with consumers.
It is my hope that if we collect such data that we make it available to a large audience that the Braille display manufacturers will begin to include this criteria in their future designs.
The user would type a sentence such as: The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
For a small digression, this what Wikipedia has to say about this sentence:
it is a "phrase that contains all of the letters of the English alphabet. It has been used to test typewriters and computer keyboards,
and in other applications involving all of the letters in the English alphabet."The user would type the sentence 10 times in a form and the web page would record the time the form was kept open.
If you have the PHP or other web page skills to create such a web page, please let me know.
If noone on the committee has the skills or interest to create the web page, it is something that could be done as part of a engineering senior project.
I welcome any comments on this project.Some data that would be useful to collect about the user is as follows:
1. Name of Braille input device:
Brailliant 40
Focus 40 Blue
Braille Note
Allow specify other and enter device name.
2. How long since you learned Braille?
less than 1 year
1 to 3 years
more than 3 years
3. How long have you spent using the braille input device?
less than 1 month
1 to 6 months
more than 6 months
4. How do you rate the accuracy of entering text with Braille?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
5. How do you rate the speed of entering text with Braille?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
6. How do you rate the feel of the Braille keyboard?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
7. How do you rate the location of the Braille keys?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
8. How do you rate the location of the braille space bar?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
9. How do you rate the usefulness of the control keys?
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory
2 poor
1 very poor
10. How do you rate the ergonomics of the Braille input device?Best regards,
John
5 very good
4 good
3 satisfactory