[Nfb-science] reading equations

Amy Bower abower at whoi.edu
Wed May 15 20:10:41 UTC 2013

Hi All - I'm guessing this question would be better posted to the blind math
list serve, but I don't belong to that and I'm hoping some of you will know
how to direct me. I apologize in advance if the question has been covered
recently or is common knowledge (except to me).

I read some information on the Creative Designs web site about accessible
math, and I got the impression that is possible for math equations to be
read accurately by a screen reader. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a
simple primer on how to set everything up to do this. For example, I have a
MS Word 2010 document in which the author has inserted many equations using
Microsoft Equation Editor, which I think is Mathtype. Do I just save this
document as a .xml file? And then what?  I downloaded MathPlay, which seems
to be a necessary component, but I don't get  how this all plays together
with Jaws (the screen reader I'm using). A step-by-step list of what to do
would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Amy B.