[Nfb-science] Computer animations and screen readers

Patrick Johnson patrickjohnson1015 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:27:18 UTC 2014

Group,

A few weeks back I asked if anyone had used Primal Online Learning, no
one has.  I am interested in the product because a colleague of mine
who teaches Biology is looking for a program where his online students
can watch computer animations as learning objects in an Introduction
to Anatomy class.  In the case of Primal the animations are coded in
Flash and do not appear to be screen reader friendly.

My question, is anyone teaching with or taught with computer
animations?  If so were they screen reader friendly, and if so how
were they made screen reader friendly?  I ask because I am unsure if
the issue is one requiring the animations to be coded in a certain way
or if a plug in at the browser or screen reader could be added to make
the animations accessible.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom and insight.

Patrick