[Nfb-science] math accessibility

Amy Bower abower at whoi.edu
Tue May 19 13:33:28 UTC 2015

Hi All -

I'm a physical scientist (oceanographer) losing vision due to RP. I'm
already a seasoned Jaws user, although I have some residual (but
increasingly not useful) vision. Short story: I need to be able to easily
write and read equations. I have dabbled with Math Player, MathML etc but
not enough to know what I'm doing, plus that landscape seems to keep
changing. I'm looking for advice on how to use those tools, preferably in
the form of a "user's manual" - i.e., step-by-step guide that includes what
needs to be installed and how to implement. This needs to include
differential equations. I'm using Jaws 16, which I know has some MathML
support. Note that I'm looking for more than the ability to read equations
in internet (html) documents or text books (although that is important too).
I want to construct my own equations for research and be able to read them
back to myself using Jaws. If no such user's guide is out there, but someone
knows an expert who could teach me over the phone or similar, that would
also work and compensation could be arranged. Thanks.

-Amy B.

Dr. Amy S. Bower

Senior Scientist

Department of Physical Oceanography