[NFB-Science] Accessibility of MatLab with JAWS 2018

Nikita nikitamailings at yandex.com
Tue Sep 17 11:37:35 UTC 2019

Hello Kennedy.
You need to do two things:

1. Enable Java Access Bridge.
You need to find the Java directory in the system directory MATLAB. There is
a utility to enable Java Access Bridge.
For Example: MATLAB\sys\java\jre\win32\jre\bin\jabswitch.exe
Java Access Bridge starts via the command line using the key -enable:
jabswitch.exe -enable
if this happens, you will receive a response:
"The Java Access Bridge has been enabled."

2. Reassign the shortcuts of MATLAB.
You need to create a file
%APPDATA%\MathWorks\MATLAB\%version_of_MATLAB%\CustomWindowsSet.xml
The file must be in UTF-8 without BOM
It needs to have the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <CustomKeySet derivedfrom="Windows" modifieddefault="false">
    <Context id="Global">
       <Action id="previous-history-item">
          <Stroke code="VK_UP" ctrl="on" shift="on"/>
          <Stroke code="VK_KP_UP" ctrl="on" shift="on"/>
       </Action>
       <Action id="next-history-item">
          <Stroke code="VK_DOWN" ctrl="on" shift="on"/>
          <Stroke code="VK_KP_DOWN" ctrl="on" shift="on"/>
       </Action>
    </Context>
    <Context id="CommandWindow">
       <Action id="caret-up"/>
       <Action id="caret-down"/>
    </Context>
 </CustomKeySet>

After that, you need to open the file
%APPDATA%\MathWorks\MATLAB\%version_of_MATLAB%\matlab.prf
At the end of this file you need to add the following two lines:

CustomKeyBindingSets=SCustomWindowsSet.xml
CurrentKeyBindingSet=SCustomWindowsSet.xml

After all this theoretically, MATLAB should be accessible.
I hope you will succeed. Good luck.

Sincerely, Nikita.