[NFB-Science] How do I best deal with making graphs and using scientific instruments in my environmental science class?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 15:01:42 UTC 2019

Hello Kendra,

I do not believe it is fair for you to criticize a particular method of reading and creating graphs simply because it does not work for you. I also do not understand your ethical reasons for not using paper when the technology you want to use for creating and reading graphs contains non-recyclable materials that require fossil fuels to create.

However, if you are spending six hours on an assignment that is only supposed to take about a half an hour, then I would say that you have not found the right accommodation to complete your assignment. All of the graphs I have created or read for my environmental biology class, all of my math classes, and my current statistics class have not taken me all that much longer to complete than my sighted classmates.

When I was expected to read and interpret a graph on my own without the assistance of a reader for my environmental biology class, I received a copy of the graph as a tactile graph at the same time as my sighted classmates. This tactile graph was rather detailed.

However, when I am not expected to read and interpret graphs  simply for the sake of learning how to read and interpret graphs, I will work with more simplified tactle graphs with the assistance of a reader. I find this technique to work best for me because I am a more hands on visual learner, so the auditory graphs would probably not work best for me. However, they sound rather interesting, and I am sure they could help others even though they might not help me.

A reader can definetly stay with you for the entire class or lab assignment if you need it and you have no other way to access information. However, sometimes it can be difficult for readers to describe graphs, and this is why I have found low tech items like pipe cleaners and wicki sticks to be helpful. I find that a basic shape of the graph using these items can help my readers describe and read graphs to me. Readers can generally be obtained through a disabilities office, or vocational rehabilitation services if they are not provided through the disabilities office. And items like pipe cleaners and wicki sticks are low cost items that can be used to make a general shape of a graph on the spot

Again, I hope this helps you find the best method for reading and creating graphs for your class this semester. I generally find that focusing on possible solutions rather than complaining about how something is not fair helps me find an accommodation that works best for me. In the end it is more about accomplishing your goal and successfully completing your class.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth