[NFB-Science] More Thoughts on Tactile Graphics

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 26 16:50:10 UTC 2019

As I've said before, I'm interested in how to find ways to make sense of
visual material. This recent discussion has peaked my interest, simply
because I'm interested in experimenting with a variety of solutions.

Someone said something about pipe cleaners and wiki sticks as a way to
convey the shape of a graph, time line or whatever. These are great low-cost
items, but I'm also interested in a clear understanding of the data. I know
textbooks often have historical time limes, which may be hard to nonvisually
reproduce. I'm looking at how to do it effectively.

If I do use pipe cleaners and wiki sticks, is a standard sheet of paper good
enough? If I need more durable paper, where might I get it?

Also, what have people done to give context to a graph, chart or time line?

This is why I'm especially interested in combining modalities, that is,
finding ways to combine touch with audio. On the high tech end, a tablet
might be good for that, but I recognize that option isn't always practical.
I'm thinking that one of the Pen Friend-like devices might do the trick.

That, by the way, is why, even though I have the Sensational Blackboard and
have not used it lately, I don't want to throw it out. I still see value in
its use even with the high-tech tools. Also, I want to experiment with these
ideas even though I am not a student.

Please pardon my ramblings, but I wanted to explore this topic further, both
to play with ideas and find new ways to create accessible graphs. Any
thoughts? Thanks.