[NFB-Science] Suggestions for Job Accommodations in Healthcare

Jenn Han jenniferhan17 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 22:54:06 UTC 2020

Hello everyone!

I recently was hired as a medical scribe and was wondering if anyone has
suggestions for technology/accommodations to effectively perform my work.
If you’re unfamiliar with what they do, scribes transcribe the patient
interaction with the physician into their electronic medical records. This
includes diagnoses, lab results, patient procedures, and anything else the
physician dictates during the interaction in real-time.

I have been considering appropriate accommodations for this, as the
charting requires a lot of specific boxes to click and boxes to type in to
fill based on patient-by-patient case.

I considered using text-to-speech, but that feels ineffective because I
won’t be able to listen to the physician and type what they say while
giving my full attention.

I’m not sure if a Braille display of any sort would be useful here, but if
you have one in mind, that would be greatly appreciated.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I’ll be working on a laptop or desktop
provided by the hospital and handling sensitive medical information, so I
want to make this accessible to me but not compromise the patient’s privacy
rights.

In general, what are good accommodations to use to access the computer
screen when audio is out of the question?

You can also reach me personally at: jenniferhan17 at gmail.com

Thanks so much!

Best,
Jenn