[NFB-Science] Drawing Tools for Intro to Engineering Design

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 21 15:43:15 UTC 2020

For what it's worth:
Studying electrical engineering at Iowa State University from 1965 until
graduating in 1969, there was a requirement to take an engineering graphics
course, applicable to all engineering students. I did not do close to
everything my sighted counterparts did, but I was using a raise-line drawing
board, sometimes called the Sewell drawing kit. It used the thin mylar
sheets, and was only 8.5 x 11 inches in size. I think this is still
available, and realize that the limited dimensions are part of the problem.
I have always been totally blind. Some people like Abraham Nemeth were much
better at visualizing things than I have ever been. In the graphics course I
learned about the various kinds of projections. My "masterpiece" was a
perspective projection of a cylinder. I think an instructor helped me to do
this, using a compass, protractor and other tactile tools. I have no idea
how I would draw such a thing today.
You have come to the right place to ask questions. We don't have all the
answers, and you will probably come up with some of them yourself if you are
persistent. Your instructors should be willing and able to accommodate your
disability, and you have to be in the middle of the process. Your education
needs to work for you.
How are you going to communicate with your sighted coworkers when you enter
your first jobs? What kind of information will you need to communicate? How
will they communicate with you? I think that 3D printing and other 3D
modeling techniques are going to be helpful to you, and reducing them to
paper or a flat screen may become a little less important going forward.
I know I have raised more questions than I have answered. As blind people we
are all pioneers, and one of our strengths for life can be resourcefulness
and creativity.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
Senior Staff Engineer, National Library Service for the Blind and Print
Disabled