[NFB-Science] Guidance for Microbiology

Emily Schlenker eschlenker at cox.net
Wed Jan 20 16:48:47 UTC 2021

Hi! I would love to help you. Unfortunately, I took microbiology with lab when we were not virtual, but I think a lot of what I used for accessibility still applies. there are several components to this class that will need to be addressed. First of all, you will have to become physically familiar with the tools used in the lab such as microscope’s, burners, loops, petri dishes, test tubes, etc. Even if this class is virtual, what they probably should do is bring you a box of the tools that will be used when they perform the laboratory demonstration. Second of all, you are going to need tactile drawings of what everyone else is looking at so that you can learn to distinguish between the different types of organisms as well as what cultures look like when they grow and  populate a particular medium in a test tube or petri dish. third, and probably the most complicated in this time of the pandemic, you will have to physically learn what it is like to use these tools in order to inoculate different types of mediua with microorganisms. this is the part that I really wish you could do in person, because if you do not have eyesight, it will take lots of practice and eventually come down to muscle memory in order to sterilize tools and transfer cultures aseptically.  When I took this class, my instructors were determined that I would perform all steps of every laboratory experiment that was done. Although I did struggle in the beginning, I was no more awkward and uncertain than anyone else in the class, and I got to learn all experiments inside out since I did everything . I did not share with a group. please feel free to contact me and your instructors can also contact me if they would like to. As far as I know, I am the only totally blind person who  not only took this lab but physically did everything that was required to complete all procedures. I also learned how to set up slides and bring them into focus on a light microscope with answers provided to me when I asked the right questions about whether something was in focus when I used the various adjustment knobs.
Emily
316-644-4227

Sent from my iPhone