[NFB-Science] Science and Engineering Division Mentorship Program

Kennedy Stomberg stomberg8 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 18:12:37 UTC 2021

Dear STEM students and professionals,

Are you interested in a career in a STEM field or already in one? Would you
like to connect with other blind scientists and engineers and learn or help
others learn the skills necessary to succeed in STEM fields?

We invite you to participate in our STEM mentorship program in the NFB
Science and Engineering Division. All who are at least a junior in high
school and are aspiring or already in a STEM career are welcome to sign up
using the form below as a mentee, mentor, or both.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd0p63m3xhR_hX-r3lwEylLtFuipX3_TVOIRRH4fsTcYnUhyA/viewform

Participants will be asked to meet within their mentor pairings at least
once a month, and all will be invited to join socials, workshops, and other
fun activities. We also host  a monthly program-wide seminar series, where
you, program participants, and other invited speakers are given the floor
 to share  your science and present on a topic of your choice. It is a
great opportunity to learn new science and check out how other blind STEM
students and professionals are succeeding.

Previous talks have included:

   - Spacing Out: Seeing Climate Change from Orbiting Satellites
   - Don't Psych Yourself Out: A Personal Journey through a Cognitive
   Neural-science Degree
   - Scaling up from Minor to Major: Combining Data and Sound to
   Communicate Complex Data

If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to reach out
to Newton Nguyen

newton at caltech.edu

We look forward to building a community and learning with all of you!

Sincerely,

Gene Kim, Kennedy Stomberg, and Newton Nguyen