[nfb-talk] Help with canes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 13 17:36:46 UTC 2008

Dear Tom,

You did not say if the cane is a fiberglass or carbon fiber cane.
Either way, it is not really a screw, but a metal insert that has
ribs that resimble screw threads.
You can force this insert out by locking the cane shaft up in a
vise or with the use of some vise-grip pliers and twist it out.
You may break the cane shaft if you are not careful and i
reccomend that you wrap the shaft with some cloth to protect
against this as much as you can as the teeth on the pliers can
cause the material of the shaft to crack and break.
Once you have the insert out and are ready to put it back in
again, you can use a two part epoxy to glue it back in.  Super
glue will work in a pinch, but the epoxy is better and will last
longer and fill any gaps.
Once you have the cane asembled their are some other things you
can do to make them even better.
I find a metal flat washer, that has the same hole size as the
small shaft section and install it on the shaft above the place
where the rubber stopper goes.
This keeps the second section of the shaft from going down
between the stopper and the smaller section of the shaft and
expanding the stopper and therefore preventing the cane from
closing properly or splitting the stopper.  Now would be a great
time to install a flat washer on the smaller shaft section,
before you glue the insert back in.
Sometimes I just take a flat washer and cut half way through it,
with a hacksaw,  and then take two pairs of pliers and bent the
washer open and the put it around the small shaft section and
then bend it back flat again.  I somethine have to file or use my
belt sander on the outer edges of the flat washer, to reduce its
size, until it will let the washer go inside the handle properly
and the stopper to fit in the larger handle section and keep the
cane closed.
I also have found that glueing a nickel under the plastic cap
prevents the shaft sections from punching through the cap or
cutting the rubber plug off and letting the shaft sections pass
right through the cap.

You can use some liquid soap to lubracate the rubber stoppers and
the rubber sections of the cane tips, to help you get them on
over the mushroom part of the insert, when replacing them.
A small amount of lanilan can be used to lubracate the shaft
sections to make the opeing and closing easier.
You should not "snap open " the cane by snapping the wrist.  This
can cause the sections to jam and stick and sooner or later they
will begin splitting apart.
Use your hands and pull the cane ope and give each section a
little pull and twist to lock them in place.  This will help to
keep them from coming loose and the cane collaspeing.
I always place my hand over the cane cap and then hammer the cane
straight down to collapse the sections of the cane before storing
it away or hanging it on my side.

I have also found that fastening a "carrabeaner clip" like that
used in rock climbing , to the lanyard, up close to the cane cap,
makes it easy to clip on a belt loop on my side and thereby free
up my hands for finding keys and opening doors when my other
;hand is carrying something.
I always hang my cane on my belt loop and I always know right
where it is.
It also works for ladies too as they can clip it around the strap
of their purse.
The clip also makes the closed cane a very good weapon in an
emergency.

I save the sections of all of my broken canes too and make new
ones from the parts.

David Evans, NFBF

Verizon and
>>see if other phones will work.  I know that some of the Palm
Trios work as
>>well.  I have used Verizon for 2 years and am very happy with the
service
>>and the great connectivityh.  I can count on one hand the amount
of dropped
>>calls and I travel all over the country.

>> Cordially,
>> Michael

>>> Howdy,

>>> If I chose to go with Verizon as my cell phone carrier next
January, I