[nfb-talk] Blind people Eaten For Magic

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Wed Dec 2 02:42:05 UTC 2009

Hi you all,

I am the author of THOUGHT PROVOKER and as it is said, real life can be
stranger than fiction and I would like to share with you a real story, not
one of my making. Below is the text of an article that came out of Sunday's
edition of the Omaha World Harold. See what is happening to this unique
group of blind people.

Thousands of Africa's , albinos go into hiding ;
/ NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - The mistaken belief that albino body parts have
magical powers has driven thousands of Africa's albinos into hiding, fearful
of losing their lives and limbs to unscrupulous dealers who can make up to
$75,000 selling a complete dismembered set.
Since 2007, 44 albinos have been killed in Tanzania and 14 others have been
slain in Burundi, sparking widespread fear among albinos in East Africa.
At least 10,000 have been displaced or have gone into hiding since the
killings began, according to a report released last week by the
International Federation for the Red Cross and Crescent societies.
Albinism is a hereditary condition, but occurs only when both parents have
albinism genes.
African albinos endure insults, discrimination and segregation throughout
their lives. They also have a high risk of contracting skin cancer in a
region where many jobs are outdoors.
Robert Leslie Newman
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Omaha Office
402-595-2143
Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Our Mission:
Empowering blind individuals,
Promoting opportunities,
and building belief in the blind.