[nfb-talk] NBP-Announce: KIDS: February book club selection: If I Ran for President

Tony Grima agrima at nbp.org
Thu Feb 12 00:22:01 UTC 2009

February 2009 Book Club Selection
If I Ran for President
By Catherine Stier
Print/braille edition, $6.99
Ages 4-8

Celebrate Presidents' Day - and our new President!

If you ran for president, your name would be on buttons and bumper
stickers. You'd get to travel in your own bus. And you've have to do a
lot of hard work, studying the nation's problems, telling the American
people your ideas, and debating your opponents on live television.

In Catherine Stier's fun, funny, and informative book, six diverse
children take turns explaining the election process as if they were
running for president. They discuss their decision to run, campaigning,
primaries and conventions, debating, being interviewed, meeting the
public, voting, and being sworn in on Inauguration Day. Stier does a
good job of explaining election details, both in an introductory note
about electoral votes and in the text itself. The author adds flavor
with funny examples of life as a candidate - such as the need to smile
and meet people despite indigestion.

This title is a step above the usual election books, both in content and
entertainment value.

"Children will come away with a better understanding of the complex
election process, and, just maybe, an enduring respect for it."
-Booklist

"This book was very helpful in teaching first graders about the election
process. It explains so much in a brief and entertaining way that holds
the attention of our young listeners. I liked the way it explained the
election and voting process using accurate vocabulary without being
overly wordy or boring. This book was a great find during an election
year!"
- An Amazon.com reader

To order or read more about this book online, visit
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/BC0902-PRES.html

******
To order any books, send payment to:
NBP, 88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, MA 02115-4302
Or call and charge it: toll-free (800) 548-7323 or (617) 266-6160 ext
20. Or order any of our books online at
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/publications/index.html .