[nfb-talk] GW Micro Announces Support for Java Applications

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 12 03:44:02 UTC 2009

GW Micro Announces Support for Java ApplicationsFrom: aaron at gwmicro.com
To: gw-info at gwmicro.com

­GW Micro is excited to announce support for Java
applications through the new WE4Java Window-Eyes
script, developed by Jay Macarty.

The WE4Java Script Central web page describes
WE4Java as a script that "provides access to Java
based programs using an alternate technology from
the Java Access Bridge. This interface
communicates directly with the Window-Eyes COM
object model via a public API."

WE4Java is designed to send information from Java
applications to Window-Eyes via the Window-Eyes
scripting COM interface. Because Window-Eyes is a
COM server (meaning other applications can send
information directly to Window-Eyes), the
possibilities of making any application
accessible are endless, regardless of the
programming language an application is developed in.

"The Java language is, at times, regarded as
being limited in the area of accessibility and
not particularly screen reader friendly, " says
WE4Java developer, Jay Macarty. "However, Java
actually has one of the most powerful
accessibility frameworks available built right
into the GUI components. WE4Java simply takes
advantage of the extreme power of the Window-Eyes
scripting facility to expose the Java
accessibility framework in a new and different
way. We're not re-inventing java accessibility.
We're simply making it visible as an external
Window-Eyes script. In other words, the java
access capability was always there. Window-Eyes
scripting provided a way to unlock it in a new manner."

You can read more about WE4Java at
­­http://www.gwmicro.com/scripts/WE4Java. If
you're using Window-Eyes 7.0 or greater, you can
download and install WE4Java for immediate access
to your Java applications. Once WE4Java is
installed, you can read the documentation by
selecting WE4Java under the Programs section of the Start Menu.

Congratulations to all Window-Eyes script
developers for all your hard work and
contributions. We are excited about the future
that Window-Eyes scripting has to offer.