[nfb-talk] guide dog user defeated in iowa court.

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:56:43 UTC 2009

Does anybody know for sure what that woman who lost her suit against the
training center in Iowaa was there for? I've been told she was absolutely
there for mobility training and also that she was absolutely there for
computer training.  That is obviously a key point.

I tend to think she must have been there for mobility training otherwise the
court's decision makes no sense. Of course, courts make decisions that make
no sense all the time.

It makes me uncomfortable to deny access to anything to a guide  dog user.
But I think my analogy to the cirriculum at a university is valid. If they
say you have to get through the cane training without a guide dog before
going on, then that's what you have to do. It's possible though, that the
people in charge in Iowa are sort of anti-guide dog. They may be making it
hard for someone with a guide dog to access their other programs. I've seen
plenty of blind individuals who can only be described as anti-guide dog.
Put someone like that in a position of power and a guide dog user's rights
might be violated.