[nfb-talk] The NFB itself (was: Losing DVS)

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Fri Jan 16 16:32:45 UTC 2009

All of you!

Nothing is being accomplished here!  The fact is that NO ONE has
demonstrated that the lack of "accessible money" rises to the level of
discrimination, the only position the NFB has taken.  The NFB has not said
that paper money is directly counter productive to blind people.

At the same time time after time we have seen that when some technological
advance is made on behalf of blind people the advancement is misinterpreted
by the public at large.

For example, audible traffic signals are now viewed as the means by which it
has become safe for blind people to cross the streets of America.  Bull!
Audible signals can be a help, but to say that not having them is
discriminatory causes more harm than good.  If the public believes that we
can only cross a street if there is an audible signal then those who promote
such devices are doing a disservice to all the blind by not educating the
public and by putting these devices in prospective.  In fact I have not seen
audible signal proponents do this.

It is unfortunate that Wisconsin is not providing descriptive video John,
but is it discriminatory?  I think not.  You can still watch tv.  Is closed
captioning, or rather the lack of it, discriminatory?  I am not a deaf
expert.  However, I submit humanity gets more of its information through
auditory means and so perhaps the lack of closed captioning is
discriminatory.

As for the rest of you, John continues to argue and not look at a bigger
picture.  Why do y'all continue to fee him?

John, go back and look at tenBroek, the philosophy of blindness of the NFB
and the basics of our fundamental core values.  There ARE NO
Inconsistencies.

Now let's move on!

Michael Hingson,
 NSA
President,
The Michael Hingson Group
84 Bahama Reef
Novato, CA 94949
Phone Direct number (415) 827-4084
Fax number (415) 883-6220
Mobile/Pager (888) 965-9191
Email
info at michaelhingson.com
 <
mailto:
info at michaelhingson.com>
For information on Michael's speaking topics, his availability, and his
consulting services on Diversity and Access Technology for blind persons
please
visit <
http://www.michaelhingson.com>
For information on Guide Dogs for the Blind please visit <
http://www.guidedogs.com>