[nfb-talk] Research study on blind people's experiences with race

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 22:19:16 UTC 2009

It seems to me I participated in something like this a couple of years
ago -- I wonder if this is part of the same study.  I spoke on the phone for
about an hour with a Ph.D student who asked me a bunch of questions. He
asked me what race I was and I said caucasian, to which he responded by
asking why I said that. I felt like saying because it was true -- why else
would I give a response. I wonder if I sound nonwhite.  I don't remember all
the questions he asked, but it was clear I was one of the first persons
interviewed as he didn't have much understanding about blindness (he also
said he was sighted).
I'd be interested in reading the results of the study when it's completed.
--le