[nfb-talk] need advice

Ed Meskys edmeskys at localnet.com
Fri Jun 12 00:54:38 UTC 2009

All of my tape recorders have died and I want advice on which models have
good distance pickup and long life. I used to like the APH GE desk model and
had a number over the years which lasted several years each. However I hear
that more recently made ones are not very durable, and since adding pitch
restoration their sound quality is not as good. I have had very bad luck
with  the small walkman sized one from Independent Living aids. I had two
and they each sounded very good but lasted less than a year before breaking
down...and without abuse like getting dropped. I had three APH
Handicassettes which lasted about two years each, but hope to do better.

I do hope to buy a new one at the NFB convention in Detroit.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed Meskys