[nfb-talk] Good Press for NFB

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:05:26 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, the CEO of Benetech speaking on how much the NFB and
the Reading Rights Coalition have impacted this issue is not nearly
as impressive as having someone from outside the coalition talking
about the impact.

Even so, Mr. Frutcherman's post goes far to explain the challenges
facing us as advocates.  I think perhaps one key to the problem lies
in that while a country may have the necessary Copyright exemption to
produce an accessible book, the accessible book may already exist or
be of higher quality in another country.

For example, one UK-based publisher that has many Autism-related
titles makes their books available to UK-based equivalents of the
National Library Service and Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic.
These books are trivially available and accessible to those in the UK
who are blind.  I could not get an accessible copy of the book in the
United States when I needed it, however.

Expanding Chaffee-style Copyright exemptions to cover much of the
world would ensure that such a situation does not happen in the
future.  A blind person should never be denied access to a book
because they live in the wrong country.

Joseph