[nfb-talk] canes and planes

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 15:22:01 UTC 2009

I will begin by saying that I am polite about these things, but my
cane stays with me, period.

At the security checkpoint, TSA has three rules that conflict:

1. My cane, being rigid, must be X-rayed.
2. They cannot pass anything back to me before I step through the
checkpoint once it has been scanned.
3. My cane is a mobility device, and they may not deprive me of it.

Usually they want to give me this two foot long plastic or wooden
support cane to step through.  If they can pass that to me, they can
pass me my own 67 inch mobility cane and watch me step through with
it to see that it was not tampered with after scanning.  They can,
will, and have.

On the plane, the cane again stays with me.  It goes on the floor,
out of the way, but it stays with me.  I will not surrender it to a
flight attendant, because then I am confined to my seat for the
duration of the flight.  They have restrooms on planes for a reason,
and I drink lots of coffee and tea.

Again, I am polite, but I am also firm.  My cane is part of me, and I
will surrender it no sooner than someone might remove a limb.

Joseph