[nfb-talk] The Kindle Swindle

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 1 16:24:02 UTC 2009

The writers guild is having a problem getting into the 21st century. Their
argument, which at first glance makes sense, is that talking books are an
important revenue source for writers and will become even more important in
the future. It's not fair for that source of revenue to be denied them. But
we're not talking about giving away talking books for free. You still have
to buy the book. The only way authors are actually losing revenue would be
in the fairly rare cases where someone might buy both the print and the
talking books.

The members of the writers guild need to wrap their minds around the fact
that in the 21st century, people are going to look upon buying a book like
they do buying any other license. When you buy a license, you expect to be
able to make copies in whatever media you need and to use the product in
whatever way works for you. You can't give somebody else a copy but you can
copy the licensed product unto any other media for your own use.

The writers guild still thinks they're selling books, not licenses.