[nfb-talk] Fwd: DAISY Consortium releases Obi 1.0

David B Andrews David.B.Andrews at state.mn.us
Tue Mar 31 01:58:31 UTC 2009

 >>> "George Kerscher" <kerscher at montana.com> 3/28/2009 8:49 AM >>>
Dear DAISY Members and Friends,

We are pleased to announce the availability of Obi , an open source
recording tool for the creation of DAISY 3 NCX plus audio materials.
(officially the ANSI/NISO Z39.86 Specifications for the Digital Talking
Book)

I want to congratulate  Avneesh Singh and the rest of the Obi development
team  that worked on the software, testing, and supporting materials. Great
job!

 From the news item:
Obi open source audio recording tool enables a broader audience to produce
accessible,
navigable information for people with print disabilities. DAISY audio books
created
with Obi can be produced with chapters, sections, sub-sections and pages,
providing
navigation to the content. Obi is fully accessible using assistive
technologies such
as screen readers. In addition, Obi reduces the time required to work with
sophisticated
production tools and significantly reduces tool costs that may create
barriers for
some.

Press release:
<http://daisy.org/news/attachments/Obi_Release.html>http://daisy.org/news/attachments/Obi_Release.html

Project area:
<http://www.daisy.org/projects/obi/>http://www.daisy.org/projects/obi/

Best
George

George Kerscher Ph.D.
In our Information Age, access to information is a fundamental human right.
Secretary General, DAISY Consortium
<http://www.daisy.org>http://www.daisy.org
Senior Officer, Accessible Technology Recording For the Blind & Dyslexic
(RFB&D)
<http://www.rfbd.org>http://www.rfbd.org
Chair Steering Council Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), a division of the
W3C
<http://www.w3c.org/wai>http://www.w3c.org/wai
Board Representative to the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)
<http://www.idpf.org>http://www.idpf.org
Phone: +1 406/549-4687
Email: kerscher at montana.com